10.3.10

FMP - When angels call - Inspiration

Paul Rand’s headstone

Described as the godfather of graphic design – Paul Rand asked the Swiss designer Fred Troller to designed him a headstone that would be different that the normal traditional memorial. The result was these two stone cubes placed on the same axis but at different orientations. The top cube is carved in a serif font with Rand’s name and dates, whilst the base cube is inscribed in Hebrew.


















Jonathan Barnbrook - Dignity

Jonathan Barnbrook was commissioned to brand a funeral directors’ in Tokyo.
The identity consisted of branding marks incorporated into stationary and premises signage.



























Through both of these designs I like the feel that the design is undated. These designes could have stood in a pre-lifetime and I think would stand for the next.

As I am wishing to design something I hope will not be seen for amany years in the future, I would like my final outcome to contain these principals.

I also like the simple use of colour. If I had not seen these designe I may have chosen a similar scheam, but now I have, I am considering white, red and black.

A lot similar to the branding by Barnbrook, I would like to use 3 elements on my designs. To me three represents an number of things: my initial (chosen by me), the siblings I grew up with, the family unit that defined much of my mid life thus far (myself & children), and the stages of life (birth – living - death).

No comments:

Post a Comment